The forgotten children of Checenia. Life in Grozny. Picture taken by Musa Sadulajew.

The forgotten children of Checenia. Life in Grozny. Picture taken by Musa Sadulajew.
The forgotten children of Checenia. Life in Grozny. Picture taken by Musa Sadulajew.

Monday, November 7, 2011

Do you know how many slaves are working for you? 39, for me. This is shocking, right?

I have been shocked at the end of a survey I have been taking surfing the following site: http://www.slaveryfootprint.org/. Why shocked? Because I have found that at least 39 slaves are working for me but I was not informed about it.

I suppose would you now wonder me: what kind of person are you, Victor, if 39 people working for you are working as slaves?

My dear friends and readers, this is not the news. The news is that for everybody of us living in the Western World, there are at least 25 people working as slaves in countries not fully developed. Yes, you understand well. I wrote 25 slaves, not workers.

Nowadays we tend to think that slavery is an evil of past centuries. This is not true. Our lifestyle is producing a new form of slavery for which we are not fully conscious. Big and famous brands are running sweatshops as never happened before. That pair of shoes that you paid not so much maybe were done from a human being in infra-human conditions in China or India or Korea or Thailand or Vietnam or wherever. The same for your notebook, smartphone, PC, tablet, DVD/Blue ray, TV screen, sunglasses, t-shirt and so on. 

It is all a matter of supply chain, which is another way to say globalization. We don't know how and when a product have been done. All we know is how much it costs and if we like it or not. But if for that product somebody is working 21 hours a day in a mine or in a cotton field or in a factory we are not informed. Would have you bought that same product if you could read this information in the label? I don't think so.

This is the reason because I suggest you to have a look to the site http://www.slaveryfootprint.org/. Take my same survey and discover how many slaves are working to allow you your life-style. In my case, as told, they were 39. I am really ashamed for it. So I promise to myself to change my life-style. How can I do it? It is very simple: there is an application you can download from the site. This application on your mobile (only for Android and iPhone at the moment) allow you to check before buying any product if the brand producing it is employing workers in infra-human conditions and where. You can decide, in this way, if you are still convinced to buy it or refuse it. 

The freedom of millions of people is in our hands. No more excuse, please. We must act now, we are already late. Trust me.

No comments:

Post a Comment